It took a few disastrous tries to perfect my bath bomb recipe. I had bomb explosions as my bombs grew…and grew…and grew…in the hours that I left them to try. A few recipes and my own tweeks later (plus a few hours invested in bath time chemistry), *I’ve got it.* An all natural, big, luxurious bath bomb that not only looks good and smells good, but is therapeutic, as well.
Oh, and they’re hard-as-a-rock. Which, if you’ve already tried making bath bombs, you know that is the holy grail of bath bomb making. Now, before you assume following this recipe will also give you hard-as-a-rock bombs, know that the experience of recipes seem to differ in various geographical locations and also on the humidity level of the day you make your bombs. So if this doesn’t work at first for you, consider that, and make your own tweeks until you also have a perfect hard-as-a-rock recipe. But, of course, I want to know if *this* was also your perfect recipe, too, so let me know in the comments after you make them!
3 cups Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda)
1.5 cups Citric Acid
1/4 cup Cornstarch
4 TBS Coconut Oil
2 TBS Cream of Tarter
1 TBS Raw Mango Butter
80 drops Essential Oil Blend of (adjust if you use different oils than I’m using- note that using a different amount, blend, or brand may lead to a different result for your bath bombs, and the therapeutic benefit will also be different): Wild Orange Peel, Lemon Peel, Grapefruit Peel, Mandarin Peel, Bergamot Peel, Tangerine Peel, Clementine Peel essential oils and Vanilla Bean Absolute. This is not 80 drops of each of these oils–I am using a bottle of an essential oil blend that ALREADY blended these various oils into the perfect ratio, and I use 80 drops total out of the bottle. To find out where I get this exact essential oil blend I used for these bombs, to ask questions about this recipe, or to learn more about the ingredients, join my private holistic learning Facebook group at http://tinyurl.com/holisticmamas.
*other ingredients can be purchased through Mountain Rose Herbs (affiliate link-thank you for supporting me so I can bring you more great content!).
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Heat coconut oil and mango butter until just melted.
- Stir essential oils into the melted oils mixture.
- Mix melted oils into the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Overfill each half of the bath bomb mold, pack mold together as tightly as possible. Tap outisdes of mold before separating (some people tap with a spoon, I just use my fingers so I don’t dent my mold).
- Place bath bomb on a dry surface to fully harden (may take hours or two days, depending on your humidity level).
To use, fill a bathtub (or a bucket if you just want to soak your feet), drop the bomb in, and enjoy the magic! Be careful getting in and out of the tub as it may be slippery. Also, use sunscreen or avoid direct sunlight for about 12 hours after using this bath bomb as the essential oils in it can make you more sensitive to sunlight. This is safe for older children and adults to use. If you experience a skin sensitivity, immediately discontinue use and wipe affected area with a carrier oil until irritation subsides, then wash with water and soap.
Obviously, this is going to smell like Heaven, feel super soft on your skin, and nourish your body with the coconut oil, mango butter, and baking soda! The essential oil blend I used is of particular interested because it both cleanses and purifies, but it also impacts your emotional state. It helps reduce stress, uplift your mood, and has energizing and refreshing properties. You can see why I call this my “Summertime” bath bomb!
Since you are now going to be addicted to therapeutic bath bomb making, please do the following things to connect with me so I can teach you more and support you on your journey:
- Subscribe to our mailing list! I’ll be using that list to mail everyone my free Holistic Mothering e-course once I finish it!
- Join our private group: http://tinyurl.com/holisticmamas
- Take my Essential Oils and Herbs 101 Course. It’s online, go-at-your-own-pace, and I currently offer it for free. It’s very important to me that I help you know the most effective and SAFE ways to use essential oils and herbs in your every day life, and this course is where it begins at! Find the link under our “Education” tab.
- Have you liked us on Facebook already? Keep up with us! http://facebook.com/lifemoresimplyblog and http://facebook.com/blessedmamaservices
- Have you subscribed to our blog in your reader or email? This is different than our mailing list, and you will only get our actual blog posts. Sign up at the top right of this page!
NOTE: this recipe is for personal use ONLY. If you wish to use this recipe in any money-making way (selling the bath bombs created with this recipe, including but not limited to the basic recipe without or with using different essential oils; also, if you are teaching others in any way how to make bath bombs using this recipe), please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org about obtaining a business-use recipe permit.
FDA disclaimer: the statements made in this blog post are not evaluated or approved by the FDA. Nothing in this post is meant to substitute medical advice and is only meant to be educational. Always consult your doctor in regards to medical needs or changes.